Academic Advisement:

For a complete listing of all of Cumberland's degree and certificate programs, see this page:

Academic advising is referred to as the relationship shared by a college student and his/her advisor. This individual is most often a faculty member who teaches in the discipline that student is studying. The National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) is the professional association that governs advisement in colleges and universities across the country and abroad. Visit their web site to research advisement questions that you might have yourself.

The National Academic Advising Association - NACADA

Penn State University
Home of the Nitney Lions maintains a well-organized on-line journal focused specifically on academic advisement.

Penn State Mentor - Online Advising Journal
Colleges throughout the country have more in common with themselves than have differences. All colleges, both 2- and 4-year schools receive their accredited by the same national organization (Middle States). They visit colleges regularly for an accreditation visit. This process ensures that your college maintains the same standards that others are held to, that transfer of credits via transcripts works, that General Education courses are clearly identified and imbedded in the curriculum, that faculty keep their courses current and that the degrees are consistent with the demands of the job market. Thus, looking at other colleges’ advising web pages is useful because much information is transferable to other schools. See the University of Kansas for example.

The University of Kansas Advising Web Site

A mistake many new college students make is holding onto the belief that they must know what they are going to do in their career before going to college. In truth – it really does not matter what you study; simply study what interests you. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. If you want to be a teacher, than you will need a teaching certification along with your BA or BS degree. If you want to be a nurse, yes, you need an RS degree and then pass your licensing test. These are obvious examples. However, our workforce is full of very successful people who first received their undergraduate degrees in a field far apart from where they ended up working in. For example, Alan Greenspan, past Chairman of the US Federal Reserve for decades has a BA in Art. What does art have to do with being perhaps the most influential economist in the world? Well, it got him his BA and then he went on to do other things. The point is that without getting a degree in something he would not have been able to move onto something else.

The instrument below called the College Majors Interest Test (CoMIT) will help you decide where your interests lie. Visit the site, create an account and take all of the tests available. Your result or profile will provide you with some information about yourself. Remember – study what you enjoy!

Take the College Majors Interest Test

Tradesman who have earned journeyman licenses, who have attended apprentice programs while working and finished their training are eligible to receive up to 37 college credits toward an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree in Technical Studies. This program is administered statewide through the NJ PLACE Program located at the Rutgers School of Management and Labor Relations in New Brunswick, NJ. A Technical Studies advisor is available in the Enrollment Services Office at Cumberland’s campus.

For more information on this type of education, visit the NJPLACE web page.

For a look at how non-college training programs can be evaluated for college credit, see the link below to the National Program on Non-collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI)


Was this content helpful? Please rate this content.

 Your Rating:
Your Review: